1. The original title for the Flintstones was going to be The Flagstones. The title may have been changed to avoid confusion with The Flagstons, characters in another comic strip
.2. The show only ran for six years, between September 1960 to April 1966, but has been oft-repeated.
3. After the show was cancelled, a movie based on it was created. The Man Called Flintstone was a musical spy caper that parodied the James Bond films.
4. There was also a live-action film in 1994, starring John Goodman and Rick Moranis, and a prequel, The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas, starring Stephen Baldwin, in 2000.
5. Initially, the show was sponsored by Winston cigarettes and the characters smoked during advert breaks. Winston reportedly pulled their sponsorship when Wilma Flintstone became pregnant.
6. The Flintstones was the first US animated television show to depict two people of the opposite sex sleeping in the same bed.
7. It was also the first animated show to last for more than two seasons at prime time. The record was not equalled until The Simpsons began in 1992.
8. Hanna-Barbera, the animation that produced the Flintstones, was also responsible for Scooby-Doo, Top Cat, The Smurfs, Yogi Bear and The Jetsons. It is now part of Warner Bros Animation.
9. In the early episodes of the show, the town of Bedrock where the show is set was also referred to as Rockville.
10. The show’s theme tune is the most recognised children’s television theme tune among UK adults, according to a PRS for Music survey.