New process and rules for the City of Gillette's Annual Holiday Lighting Contest.
- The contest is only eligible to houses/addresses inside Gillette City Limits
- You must be 18 years old or older to participate
- You must be nominated to have your house judged - you can nominate yourself or a neighbor
Here's how the contest works:
Turn in a nomination form by December 4th. Printed applications can be found in the News-Record (fill it out and send it to the News-Record or drop it in the drop box in the City Hall lobby near Customer Service)
Why do you have to be nominated? Because we want to avoid having our Senior Judges being driven around all night in nasty weather conditions to do their judging. The City's GIS Division will create a map to maximize the efficiency of their route and time.
JUDGING for JUDGE'S CHOICE AWARDS
On December 9th and 10th, Senior Citizens will judge all the houses that have been nominated and will select their three Judges Choice winners. (1st place receives $300, 2nd place receives $200, 3rd place receives $100) The Judges Choice Winners will be announced via a press release on Friday, December 20th.
The Senior Citizens will also select the top ten houses that will be judged for the People's Choice Awards. On Sunday, December 15th, the News-Record will run a Sunday article with pictures of the top ten houses. The News-Record and City of Gillette will also post photo albums of the top ten homes on their respective Facebook pages (these are the ten homes the Senior Citizens selected).
VOTING for PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARDS
Voting will work this way:
- you can vote by liking the photos in the Facebook photo albums on the News-Record page and on the City of Gillette's page. These photos will be posted on FB on Sunday, November 15th.
- The 'likes' for each home/address on the News-Record Facebook photo album and the City's Facebook photo album will be added up, along with hard copy ballots that can be cut out of the News-Record and turned into the News-Record offices. You must use an official ballot if submitting a hard copy.
- The deadline for voting (both on Facebook and via hard ballot) is Thursday, December 19th at midnight.
- At that time, the total number of likes that each house/address has will be counted as votes. The votes from both the News-Record Photo album and the City of Gillette photo album will be added up, and added to any hard copy ballots that the News-Record has received.
- Keep in mind, we will count the total number of likes for each photo on Thursday, December 19th at midnight. If you are liking, then unliking, then liking a photo, it will still only count as one vote.
- You can vote/like for a house in each photo album (both on the News-Record FB page and the City's FB page), and you can vote for as many houses from top ten as you would like.
The homes/address with the top three total votes are the People's Choice winners. (1st place receives $300, 2nd place receives $200, 3rd place receives $100)
City Administration will host an Open House for all winners to pick up their prizes on December 30th and 31st.
Many thanks to the Senior Center for organizing the judging and to the News-Record for co-sponsoring the new Holiday Lighting contest.
By participating, each entrant grants Sponsor permission to use his/her name, likeness or comments for publicity purposes without payment of additional consideration, except where prohibited by law.
City of Gillette (Government)
P.O. Box 3003
Gillette WY 8217