At about 10:12 am on May 6th, 2013, emergency responders were dispatched to 501 South Burma Avenue. A 2002 Dodge Neon was reported to be on fire in the ER parking lot. Police Lieutenant Brent Wasson said staff from Campbell County Memorial Hospital assisted the Campbell County Fire Department in getting the vehicle fire under control.
Wasson said that a puppy was removed from the vehicle, and was reported to be having trouble breathing. Wasson said that the preliminary investigation shows that a "smoke grenade firework" was in the vehicle. The dog may have activated the firework by chewing on it, which appears to have ignited the back seat of the car.
The puppy was transported to the animal medical center, and was responsive and alert when a Gillette Animal Control officer last saw the animal.