Morsels About Pie!
Written by broebling on January 23, 2019
Today 1-23-19 is National Pie Day! Thanks for weighing in on our Facebook Page for Basin Radio Network to let us know what is your favorite pie! Congratulations to Pat Brennan Johnson our lucky winner today! She will receive a gift card to Perkins where she can treat herself to a pie of her choice! We thought it would be fun to share some “morsels” of historical facts about pie!
- Pie has been around since the ancient Egyptians
- The first pies were made by early Romans who may have learned about it through the Greeks-These pies were sometimes made in “reeds” which were used for the sole purpose of holding the filling and not for eating with the filling
- The first pie recipe was published by the Romans and was for a rye-crusted goat cheese and honey pie
- The early pies were predominately meat pies. Pyes (pies) originally appeared in England as early as the 12TH century
- Fruit pies or tarts (pasties) were probably first made in the 1500s. English tradition credits making the first cherry pie to Queen Elizabeth I
- Pie came to America with the first English settlers.
- As in the Roman times, the early American pie crusts often were not eaten, but simply designed to hold the filling during baking