Public Input Sought on Wyoming Air Ambulance Medicaid Waiver
Written by Basinradio on July 31, 2019
Meetings Set in Cheyenne, Riverton
Residents are invited by the Wyoming Department of Health (WDH) to offer their thoughts, ideas and perspectives on a proposed Medicaid waiver plan for Wyoming air ambulance service during two upcoming public meetings or online.
Public meetings are planned in Cheyenne on August 5 from 5-7 p.m. at the Laramie County Library Willow Room and in Riverton on August 8 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Central Wyoming College in Health Sciences Room 214.
The waiver would expand Wyoming Medicaid to all state residents for the specific purpose of air ambulance transportation. Waiver goals include:
· Eliminate the surprise billing of patients
· Reduce the average cost of air ambulance flights while ensuring a set level of access and quality
· Increase price transparency for patients and employer groups
Under the plan, WDH would competitively bid for a selected network of air ambulance providers, make periodic flat payments (similar to a gym membership) to these contracted providers and then recoup the revenue needed to fund the system from the insurance plans and individuals already paying for transports.
A detailed plan presentation will be available beginning August 1 at airambulancewaiver.wyo.gov. Online comments may also be submitted using the same site.
People who might be particularly interested in voicing their opinions include:
· Members of the public who have had an air ambulance flight
· Medical providers who deal with air ambulance
· Hospital leadership and staff
· Air ambulance providers and staff